Rene flexes her muscles in a series of TV adverts while Tamara has become the de facto face of UK women's bodybuilding thanks to life-size cut-outs of her on display in thousands of shops and supermarkets across the country.
Elsewhere figure competitor Jelena Abbou has given a huge boost to female muscle by becoming the face and physique of MAC cosmetics' Strength campaign – taking over from previous big-name celebrity MAC faces including Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj.
But Jelena, Rene and Tamara are not the first female bodybuilders to spearhead a major ad campaign.
As far as we can discern that honor goes to female muscle legend Kimberley Anne Jones.
Way back in 1993 Kimberley Anne was stopping traffic as she flexed her oiled-up muscles from countless roadside billboards as part of a campaign for the Volkswagen Vento.
The car was rubbish, but the body was spectacular!
(Continues after gallery)
- Totally buff: Kimberley Anne Jones poses with her 'moving' ad for Virgin – she flexed and kissed each bicep! Totally buff: Kimberley Anne Jones poses with her 'moving' ad for Virgin – she flexed and kissed each bicep!
- Double trouble! Female bodybuilder Kimberley Anne Jones with a life-size Virgin ad of her hitting a double bi Double trouble! Female bodybuilder Kimberley Anne Jones with a life-size Virgin ad of her hitting a double bi
- Miss Superbuff: Flexing in the bedroom – it's just how Kimberley Anne Jones rolls Miss Superbuff: Flexing in the bedroom – it's just how Kimberley Anne Jones rolls
- Spectacular bodywork: Female bodybuilder Kimberley Anne Jones and the VW Vento which started it all Spectacular bodywork: Female bodybuilder Kimberley Anne Jones and the VW Vento which started it all
- Easy Tiger! Bodybuilder Kimberley Anne Jones in her Miss Superbuff guise Easy Tiger! Bodybuilder Kimberley Anne Jones in her Miss Superbuff guise
- Lauren Powers in female bodybuilding's very own shower scene Lauren Powers in female bodybuilding's very own shower scene
- Rene Campbell bicep flex for Tango ad Rene Campbell bicep flex for Tango ad
- Rene Campbell most muscular in Tango ad Rene Campbell most muscular in Tango ad
- Female bodybuilder Rene Campbell hits a double bicep in Tango ad Female bodybuilder Rene Campbell hits a double bicep in Tango ad
- Female bodybuilder Tamara Makar as a Page 3 girl in the Sun (Tango advert) Female bodybuilder Tamara Makar as a Page 3 girl in the Sun (Tango advert)
- Kimberley Anne Jones Miss Superbuff bodybuilder grandma advert Kimberley Anne Jones Miss Superbuff bodybuilder grandma advert
And while the Vento died a death Kim went on to become the most famous female bodybuilder in the country (and quite possibly the world at that time) featuring on TV chat shows, and in newspaper and magazine interviews.
Kim had already starred in an ad for TV station LWT but her new found muscle fame led to work with Virgin mobile as the model for a specialised 'ventricular' poster campaign. She also got her own mini-site at misssuperbuff.com and execs used her physique for the now legenday 'Muscle Gran' viral ad. She also took up a role hosting the Discovery Channel's 'Body Spectacular'
Kim told realfemalebodybuiilding.com: “The VW ad changed my world and that of British Female Bodybuilding and definitely opened the British public's eyes to the fact that such creatures existed in their midst.
“Within a week of the VW poster going live I was regularly appearing on TV shows firstly in the UK and then in Europe.
“The initial probe was to actually check 'I was a woman', but once it was established that not only was I that but I also had a brain.( The British media tried its hardest to prove I was stupid) From there on in I became the darling of everyone and every thing.
“I had already made the London Weekend Television (LWT) advert but the VW ad magnified my appeal there and the TV station continued to use my image for a year afterwards. The public grew to understand that we were not freaks or aliens and together with the images of Terminator's 'Sarah Connor' muscular look, female bodybuilding took on a whole new meaning.
“Female bodybuilders and women training in gyms became a common occurrence. No longer was it considered a secret.”
The success of Kim as a female bodybuilder and model clearly struck a chord with the advertising industry worldwide and muscle women have been used in a series of ads ever since.
They have included:
Australian powerlifter and bodybuilder Jill Mills flexing her muscles in a pink bikini for a soft drink firm
Betty Pariso hitting a wonderful double biceps pose in an ad for US restaurant chain Joes Crab Shack
Not all ads starring female bodybuilders have been 100% positive for promoting female muscle sport however.
One South American TV ad for Magistral detergent bizarrely shows a female bodybuilder obsessed with washing the dishes. She is shown as a slightly clumsy, sex crazed, muscle woman who doesn't quite know her own strength
And a series of viral ads for US fitness club chain Planet Fitness caused a heated online debate when huge female bodybuilder Lauren Powers was shown intimidating naked men in the locker room.
But all publicity is good publicity. The more female bodybuilding steps out of the shadows the better it will be for the all those who share the bodybuilding passion.